You’ve invested a lot in your home. Here’s what you need to know about keeping it safe.
While sturdy, custom-made exterior doors already provide an added level of security, it’s a good idea to invest in a complete home security system. Having a reliable system in place will bring you peace of mind when you’re away and let you rest easy, knowing that you’re far less likely to be the victim of a crime than someone whose home is unprotected.
To find a reliable home security system that will deliver value, you need to evaluate both the company providing it as well as the system itself. Here’s a how-to primer on selecting a security system for your home.
Do your research
When it comes to home security, you want to go with a trusted brand name rather than fly-by-night imitators out to make a quick buck by offering a knock-off for a bargain price. Carefully research each company whose products you are considering. You’re looking for two main things:
- An established company with a proven track record
- A company whose products have generated good word-of-mouth among homeowners
Your home security system is not a good place to take chances. Stick to well-known companies with stalwart reputations. Also, choose a company that provides an in-home security assessments instead of conducting one over the phone. To make an accurate and thorough evaluation of your needs, a home security professional needs to visit your home in person.
Finally, ask about the company’s guarantees and warranties on the service, the system itself, and the installation. You’ll want a minimum of a one-year warranty to protect you in case of any unexpected malfunctions.
Features to look for
You want to get value for your money and be confident in the company’s services. Here is a checklist to help make sure you achieve both objectives:
- Choose a security company that offers 24-hour monitoring
- Go with companies that have dedicated, central monitoring systems in place which will automatically alert authorities if a problem is detected
- Make sure a back-up system is in place in the event of a power outage or other disaster; break-ins tend to spike during nighttime power outages
- Ask about automatic upgrades, so you’ll benefit when the company improves on its existing technologies
- Ask about extras, such as fire monitoring and carbon monoxide monitoring — these services could one day save your life
Finally, if moving may be on the horizon in your near future, ask the security company if they will relocate you to a new home free of charge.
Other things to consider
When you’re evaluating home security systems, you should also take the following factors into account:
- Your neighbourhood: How safe is it? Do you have any special needs by virtue of where you live?
- Your home’s residents: Do you have children or pets? If so, you may require additional protections and extra services.
At Amberwood Doors, we take your home’s security very seriously. In addition to offering premium-quality exterior doors, we’re happy to offer you any advice you may need on strategies for keeping your home safe and secure. To learn more, or if you have questions about our lineup of exterior doors, please contact us.
Your reno survival guide: A home renovation can be one of the most stressful events of your life. Our easy-to-understand 7-step guide is designed to take the pain out of your next reno and to help you maintain your budget and keep your sanity. Download now